Saturday, June 25

short story: quiver part four (final part)


Speckles of raindrops fall from a moody grey sky onto a barren field. Dawn shivers and creates a frozen, dewy surface on the earth.
Henry wakes to Alena’s snoring. Her bare breast is exposed, and her head is tilted back, her mouth wide open. Henry’s nude body shivers at the thought of last night. He gets out of his bed and walks quietly to the living room, mindful not to wake Alena.
He stares at the dark man before him through the reflection of the sliding glass doors leading to the small balcony. Icy air rushes down his throat as he opens the doors. Henry leans his body over the railing. He can hear the laughter of children at the bottom, beckoning him to yield to his dreams of falling.
What separates life and death from one another when one feels dead while alive? Life is death, he thinks. Perhaps this means death is life, that it is filled with sun, with hope. Or perhaps death is just death, and life is death, and we merely pretend to live in 'life' and death is the time we can just let go and be. But why do flowers grow in spring, why are babies created if life is not really life? His hair and eyelashes have become dusted with sheer drops of rain. He closes his eyes. A sigh escapes his throat and Henry retreats from the railing.
He walks back to the bedroom, to his life.
He will live, whatever and wherever that is, and pretend he is happy, pretend that he does not dream of death, and mimic all that they do.

13 comments:

brooklyn. said...

Dear, this is beautiful. (As always.) Your words are stunning. However, I'm sad that this is the final part. I need more!

Please write a novel, love.

Much love,
xoxo

Anonymous said...

i really like the fourth paragraph. i don't know if i told you before, love, but i'm really happy to be reading you right now. <3

Something you've misplaced. said...

Amazing, purely and utterly amazing. I love this.

A question, why did you make the decision to write in a man's point of view? It's strange because whenever i write, it's always in a boys point of view, and i cannot figure out why.

xx

Anita said...

I am really enjoying your writing. I wish I could write as well as you could. Keep doing what you're good at!
http://xtheperfectmess.blogspot.com

Kaleidoscope Girl said...

'What separates life and death from one another when one feels dead while alive?' This question has always bothered me. Your last few sentences are astounding. Exact.

mlartigue said...

poor Henry, I think he feels kinda lost. I guess we all have felt like that sometimes.

valncami said...

loved your story!!!

We just wanted you to know we moved our blog to a new address:
http://abutterflybyday.com/

We hope you will come by to visit us, and hopefully continue to
follow through Bloglovin or RSS.

Hope to hear from you soon!
XX, Valerie and Camilla
abutterflybyday.com

Anonymous said...

forgive me, i didn't want to comment until i had read the entire story. my oh my, what an incredible story it is, absolutely amazing. i found myself quivering along with henry at the very thought of his unhappy life. you are such a clever, skillful writer and this story is a real accomplishment, my dear. love, xxx

kerrod said...

you know what?
I RECKON THIS STORY WAS INCREDIBLY GOOD. even then, that can't describe how good it was, for me anyway.

keep writing away, you seem to always help me through my stressful days.
x

Christina said...

wow, I love escaping into the world of your characters and the atmosphere you describe! Amazing work :) And thanks for your nice comments. Haven't had any exibition yet, dreaming and slowly planning to have one after the summer hopefully!
Btw, if you have the time someday, I would love if you would like to write a few words or sentences to accompany my photographs :) Let me know

Kim said...

YESSSS! i've just found this because i haven't been on here for a while....
This is so beautiful aaaah! I want more! You are so ridiculously talented. x.x..x

Eva said...

That story was amazing. From part one to part four you manage to keep a unison flow. The way you capture the feeling inside is remarkable. How he goes through his life like a sleepwalk, yet struggles with internal demons. So many live this way, I have lived this way.

You are an amazing writer.

Myrthe said...

I really really like this story. You have written it so well, it's interesting - and sometimes funny - to read. I can totally relate to the things the character goes through.
You are very talented, I'm already looking forward to reading more!