Wednesday, August 24

maybe i'll melt


  
Azure eyes and thick lips. My gaze upon you, frozen.
I learned the sweet, earthy smell of your skin; two years flew, still look to you, frozen.

The early morning seeps into my chest and icicles cling tight to my lungs.
To say I don’t like the feeling would be untrue; am I frozen?

I stopped wearing the sun in my eyes for you, did you know?
You knew it, and I know you knew it too. Now we’re frozen.

I sip and feel the hot, honey-sweetened tea burn my chest.
They melt these icicles. A brief rescue. Anti-frozen.

I still find it incredible to think about the miracle that is life.
Don’t forget that although it may seem like it’s true, you are not frozen.

___________________

Dear all my beautiful blog friends,
I'm still here, despite my reoccurring absences - I'm sorry! I have not had the best of months and consequently my writing has suffered. I am here, and won't leave for good. University is back on track and difficult. My poetics course is really interesting and has opened me up to many other forms other than prose poetry. This week we studied the Ghazal, a difficult pre-Islamic Persian form invoking melancholy, love and longing. The poem above is my take on the Ghazal. Let me know what you think of it. 
I have missed you all and hope you are all well & happy!

Thank you for your amazingly kind responses about my photo, I am so flattered! Here is another photo, I hope you like it.

8 comments:

Jada said...

I'm so glad your back! Your writing is always so refreshing to read. I have never heard of Ghazal before, but thank you for introducing it to all of us! The style of it is beautiful, and I like your take on it. My favorite line is: "I still find it incredible to think about the miracle that is life."

haze said...

My dear, this is really beautiful. You stunned me with your poetry, like always.

And I love the picture too.
And by the way, love, I missed you.
xx

Something you've misplaced. said...

It makes me happy that you're also posting your own photos. It adds to your stories, in a very personal way.

I particularly like this poem. I think i like it's subtle repetitiveness. Like you're inside someones mind.

I wish you all the best. x

Meg said...

Wow, I really like the poem. It has certain depth to it.
And I absolutely love the photo. I would want to have it somewhere in my room. I like the colors a lot.
Love

~ Meg

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post

tasha faye said...

you have such beautiful thoughts and such eloquent words, love. <3 i haven't read your blog in awhile and i miss it! it's funny, just yesterday i thought maybe my heart had grown cold and i lost my grasp on love. your words are so lovely and reassuring. thank you for that, lovely. xxx

Anonymous said...

your ghazal is stunning, dear. your photograph is, too. all my love, x

mlartigue said...

thank you for your words, I hope you are doing great :)